Construction Continues; Buyer Demand Strong at Edge-on-Hudson Development
Real Estate In-Depth | September 8, 2023
SLEEPY HOLLOW—The mixed-use Edge-on-Hudson community being built at the former site of a General Motors minivan assembly plant on the shores of the Hudson River has achieved a series of construction and sales milestones as the project enters new project phases of development.
Project developers noted that it has been four years since home sales began on the 70-acre site along the Hudson River waterfront. In its first phase, all condominium residences by Toll Brothers sold-out prior to construction, as did nearly all of the 92 townhomes offered. More than 98% of the 425 apartment residences at Edge-on-Hudson have been leased. Moving swiftly into its second phase, the master development team of New York City-based Biddle Real Estate Ventures (BREV) and PCD Development of New Providence, NJ announced a series of new retail and residential construction projects on-site.
• The Sales Gallery for waterfront condominium residences at The Daymark opened in July. Currently under construction, led by Houston-based Hines as development manager, The Daymark is the first building directly on the waterfront at Edge-on-Hudson and will add 100 new homes to the community. The Daymark is expected to be completed in spring 2025.
New condominium residences under construction at The Daymark have been a hot commodity at Edge-on-Hudson, with 25% of homes already under contract within just two months of the Sales Gallery’s opening. The first building to be located directly along the waterfront, The Daymark features architectural and interior design by COOKFOX, a leader in biophilic design, and sets a new standard for waterfront living along the Hudson. The Daymark will also include more than 9,000 square feet of retail space, featuring the first waterfront restaurant in the community.
• Site work began in August for 90 new townhomes and a clubhouse by Sun Homes. This new neighborhood borders both Kingsland Point Park and the new Tappan Zee Park and features park and river views. Sales are anticipated to begin in the first quarter of 2024.
• Construction of a new 30,000 square-foot DeCicco & Sons Market began in August, located at the community’s entry along Beekman Avenue and Legend Drive. The DeCicco & Sons Market will deploy a series of green initiatives for both construction and operation and is set to be built to LEED certification standards, keeping energy efficiency at the top of mind. Market operations will include a natural refrigeration system, a non-ozone-depleting refrigerant that DeCicco & Sons was the first to bring to Westchester County. Heat expelled from the refrigeration system will be recycled for use as the market’s heat and hot water in cold weather months. DeCicco & Sons will also install the company’s largest solar array to date.
• Plans for a medical office building are set to be presented to the Village of Sleepy Hollow Planning Board in the fall of 2023
• Planning for new parkland and open space is underway, following the successful opening of Phase 1 of the Sleepy Hollow RiverWalk at Edge-on-Hudson, which was deeded back to the Village of Sleepy Hollow. The project restored access to a section of Hudson River shoreline in Sleepy Hollow that had been closed for more than a century.
BREV Managing Member Peter Chavkin said of the development’s progress, “Completion of Phase 1 at Edge-on-Hudson has demonstrated that this community offers best-in-class amenities in residential construction, easy transit access and an extraordinary setting along the Hudson River. The combination is proving very compelling for both buyers and renters.”
Jonathan Stein, Founder and Managing Director of PCD Development, added, “It’s exciting to see retail construction on-site, to compliment new parkland and residences already completed or underway. We look forward to welcoming the DeCicco & Sons Market, as well as a waterfront restaurant at The Daymark, and additional retail and office components currently in design.”
Edge-on-Hudson is to eventually include 1,177 townhomes, condos and apartments; a 140-room boutique hotel; 135,000 square feet of retail space and 35,000 square feet of office space, in addition to more than 16 acres of new parkland.