Ron Garafalo Named 2021 HGAR Realtor of the Year
Real Estate In-Depth | November 3, 2021
TARRYTOWN—At its 105th Annual Member Appreciation Day, held on Oct. 25 at the Sleepy Hollow Hotel & Conference Center in Tarrytown, the Hudson Gateway Association of Realtors awarded Ron Garafalo, sales manager with John J. Lease Realtors in Middletown, as its “Realtor of the Year” for 2021.
David Singer, CEO of Robison Oil in Port Chester, was named the 2021 HGAR “Affiliate Member of the Year.”
The HGAR Annual Meeting & Member’s Day was a day-long event that included educational seminars, an RPAC Luncheon featuring Westchester County Executive George Latimer, Keynote Speaker Dennis Giannetti, the “Ninja Selling Instructor,” as well as the official business of HGAR that included the election of 2022 officers and directors. The program, in addition to the award presentations, featured speeches by 2021 HGAR President Crystal Hawkins-Syska and incoming 2022 HGAR President Anthony Domathoti.
Garafalo has enjoyed a real estate career for more than 20 years. He is a former HGAR President and continues to serve on the HGAR Board of Directors, as well as a Director with the New York State Association of Realtors and the National Association of Realtors. In addition, he holds a New York State teaching license and is an HGAR instructor for several courses. Garafalo is an avid supporter of HGAR, serving on numerous committees and attending countless Association events. Prior to real estate, he had a successful career with Nestle Foods in Purchase.
Singer and Robison Oil have been involved with HGAR for more than 25 years not only as an Affiliate Member, but also as an event sponsor and advertiser. During the pandemic, Singer and his team offered unique and innovative virtual programs for the Association’s Commercial & Industrial Division, and his team is always in attendance at HGAR events—both live and virtual. Singer is a member of the New York State Bar who joined the family business to help it to grow over the years. Robison recently celebrated its 100 Anniversary and now offers indoor air quality services, mold testing, fire and water remediation, natural gas and electricity, in addition to heating oil.
Other award winners included:
• Albert P. Schatz Legislative Advocacy Award: Matthew Engel of Langsam Property Services Corp. in the Bronx. This award is presented to an individual who has continuously advocated for their fellow Realtors and homeowners on local, regional and national levels of government. Engel has played a very active role in the Association’s Legislative Council over the past year.
• Stephanie Crispinelli Humanitarian Award: Maryann Tercasio of Howard Hanna Rand Realty in Central Valley. The award is named for a brave young woman who was a victim of the 2010 earthquake in Haiti, where she had been volunteering to help families in need. Tercasio serves as President of the Hudson Gateway Realtor Foundation, the charitable arm of the Association.
• Extra Mile Award: Carmen Bauman of Green Grass Real Estate Corp. in Bronxville. This award is presented to someone who has gone above and beyond in helping other agents. Bauman serves as Treasurer of the HGAR Board of Directors.
• Spirit Award: Anthony Domathoti of Exit Realty Premium in the Bronx. This award honors the person who has demonstrated continuous support and outreach to other HGAR members. Domathoti is the HGAR Present-Elect for 2022.
• Up & Coming Awards: Tony Ruperto of J. Philip Real Estate in Briarcliff Manor and Cheryl Williams of Corcoran Legends Realty in Tarrytown. Ruperto co-chairs HGAR’s new Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee, and Williams has been a very active participant in the HG Realtor Foundation’s volunteer program for local charities.
• Excellence in Commercial Real Estate Award: John Barrett of RM Friedland in Harrison. Barret has been the longest-serving President of HGAR’s Commercial & Investment Division.
• President’s Award: Jana Currier, HGAR COO in White Plains and Goshen. HGAR President Hawkins-Syska presented this award to the person who has helped her most during her presidency.
“Congratulations to our all of our winners for their extraordinary contributions to this organization and to their communities,” said Richard Haggerty, HGAR CEO. “They are truly an inspiration for us all.”
The Hudson Gateway Association of Realtors is a not-for-profit trade association covering more than 13,000 real estate professionals doing business in Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, and Orange counties, as well as the Bronx and Manhattan. It is the second largest Realtor Association in New York State, and one of the largest in the country.
For full coverage of the 105th Annual Member Appreciation Day, see the November edition of Real Estate In-Depth and updates at realestateindepth.com.